The commune of Ploegsteert remained under Allied occupation for much of the First World War, but was in German hands from 10 April to 29 September 1918.
Tancrez Farm Cemetery stands behind a rebuilt farm house which during the war housed an aid post. It was begun in December 1914 and was carried on by field ambulances and fighting units until March 1918.
The cemetery now contains 333 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War. Six of the burials are unidentified but there is a special memorial to one casualty known to be buried among them. There are also two German war graves.
The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.