Wancourt was captured on 12 April 1917, after very heavy fighting. The village was lost in March 1918 and re-taken by the Canadian Corps on 26 August 1918.
The cemetery (named from a trench) was made by the burial officer of the 14th (Light) Division in May 1917, and was used again in August-September 1918.
The cemetery contains 119 First World War burials, nine of them unidentified.
The cemetery was designed by G H Goldsmith.